Sunday, September 2, 2012

More about Cat People and Dog People

Research shows that your preference for felines or canines really does say something about your personality (see Cat People vs. Dog People).

I have owned and loved cats and dogs all my life. And while I am currently dog-less, I have a houseful of cats (four to be exact). So stuff like this tends to catch my attention.

A recent poll of over 200,000 Hunch.com users indicated that 26% of respondents owned only a dog, 16% owned only a cat, 13% owned both, and 40% had no pets.

Dog people were slightly more likely to be male, conservative, students, have kids, live in rural areas, and own their home.

Cat people were more likely to be women, skew liberal, have graduate degrees, live in the city, and rent their home.

People with both dogs and cats tend to be female, 35-49, suburbanites, middle of the road, and described as unique and original.

People with no pets tend to be male, 18-34, city dwellers, politically liberal, optimists, described as successful and admirable.

By comparing dog owners to cat owners, they determined the following:

Personality: Dog people are 15% more likely to be extroverted. Cat people are 11% more likely to be introverts.

Animals: Dog people are 67% more likely to call animal control if they find a stray kitten. Cat people are 21% more likely to try to rescue the kitten.

Humor: Dog people are 30% more likely to enjoy slapstick humor and impressions. Cat people are 21% more likely to enjoy ironic humor and puns.

Technology: Dog people are 23% more likely to be iPhone users. Cat people are 7% more likely to be Android users.

Based on the results of this poll, I fall firmly in the Cat People category (no surprise there). To see the full results of the poll, visit http://bit.ly/Ul8kXo.

5 comments:

  1. Exactly, what about rabbit people?? Typical cat/dog bias in this pet poll. I have two dogs, three rabbits and one cat. I have also had companion pet rats and they are THE coolest little things in the world. I had a pet starling that I rescued as a chick, and he was my little world. And exotic birds gravitate towards me in pet stores. I speak their crazy language, I guess. But overall, I guess I am a dog person. You can never be lonely with a dog and nothing will every love you quite as purely and sweetly as a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speedy and Brandi - 5% of the people in this poll owned "exotic pets". They tended to be male, under 18, suburbanites, politically middle of the road, and described as original and unique. However, "exotic pets" covers a broad range and in this poll tends to be anything other than a dog or cat. I am sure that rabbit owners are different than reptile owners! Like you, I would like to see specifics about bunny owners. Maybe this is something HRS or RWAF could do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sort of funny. Especially the slapstick vs ironic humor part. MOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cokie - they had all kinds of interesting trivia. For example, the favorite Beatle for dog people is Paul, and the favorite Beatle for cat people is George. This is where I vary from the norm - my favorite Beatle was John!

      Delete